I based this recipe off a few almond-meal muffin recipes, especially So Good and Tasty’s Cherry Almond Muffins. I’ve made them twice now, and yum!
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1/4 spelt flour (you could replace the oat/spelt with others of your choice)
- 1/2 tsp. xanthum gum (replacing gluten)
- 1/3 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup flax seeds
- cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves to taste
- 1/4 sugar or sugar replacement to taste (agave is nice)
- 2 organic cage free eggs
- 1/2 cup milk (or almond milk)
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- As many blueberries as you can stand!
Mix dry, then the wet into them. Add blueberries. In my opinion, if you did it right, they come out blue like in my picture above.
Cook in lined muffin tin at 350 degrees for about 20 mins, till browning on top. (Test them first.)
This makes 12 muffins. They freeze wonderfully. Don’t let them sit uneaten for too long, the flax gets a little weird if you do.
What Makes Them Brain Food?
Almonds, blueberries, low or no gluten (if you have inflammation-related sensitivity), omega-3 in the eggs, Vitamin D in the milk, anti-inflammatory spices, medium fatty chain acids in coconut oil. Low sugar, low glycemic index overall if you avoid white flour too.